Apostolic Blessings may only be requested on parchment through the following office ‘Elemosineria Apostolica’, Ufficio della Santa Sede which has been entrusted with the task since the time of Pope Leo XIII.
‘Elemosineria Apostolica’ has the important role of giving assistance to the Needy on behalf of the Holy Father, and this is possible also thanks to donations sent by Devotees all over the world who request Blessings .
On what occasions may Blessings be requested?
- Baptisms, First Communion, Confirmation
- Priest Ordinations
- Solemn Professions of Vows
- Secular Consecrations
- Permanent Deacon Ordinations
- Wedding* Anniversaries (10th, 25th, 40th, 50th, 60th), Priest Ordinations, Solemn Professions of Vows
- Birthdays (18th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th, 90th, 100th)*
- Catholic Singles * or Catholic families* (with names and surnames of the spouses united in holy matrimony)
Wherever there is an asterisk (*) the go-ahead or consent by the Ecclesiastic Authority is compulsory.
How to request Blessings?
1. Directly at the Office in the Vatican
The offices of ‘Elemosineria Apostolica’ inside Città del Vaticano can be personally accessed through the entrance of Sant’Anna (on the right hand of the columns of ‘Piazza San Pietro’) in the following opening hours: 8.30am-1.30pm (from Monday to Saturday).
2. By Letter, Fax or online
Requests may be sent to ‘Elemosineria Apostolica’ via ordinary mail or fax. Online, through the official website
The following indications must be given on the requests:name and surname as well as the address of the applicant
- name and surname of the applicant/s of the Blessing
- the reason or the occasion for the request
- the date, the name of the Church and place where the circumstance for the Blessing is to take place (all to be considered important when it concerns a Sacrament such as for Solemn Professions of Vows or Anniversaries)
- the address where the diploma is to be sent and amount to be paid.
00120 Città del Vaticano
Telephone: (+39) 06.69873279 – (+39) 06.69871100 (Open from 8.00am – 2.00pm)
Telefax: (+39) 06.69883132 (24/7 active)
The cost indicated refers to:
- parchment paper (ranging from 13 to 25 Euros according to the type chosen by the Office for the indicated occasion)
- mailing expenses (in Italy) ordinary mail (7 Euros) or via express courier DHL (13 Euros).
Donations may be sent in two ways only following receipt of the parchment:
- postal payment slip enclosed in the post
- online payment by credit card on our internet site (indicating the reference number on the postal payment slip as reason for payment).
Certain particular occasions will require the go-ahead given by a priest or ecclesiastic person (in other words only those who are Catholic and confirm to be regular Churchgoers may receive the Pope’s Blessing. Such confirmation will be made through the priest’s signature and the stamp of the Parish Church at the bottom of the request form or to be indicated crossing out the appropriate box of the form that may be downloaded here-below).
The time needed for receiving the parchment is approximately one month on receipt of the request.
Requests forwarded via telephone shall not be accepted.